Friday, January 21, 2011

Magnet Board

So I had a lot of scrap bead board laying around from when we remodeled our kitchen, so I decided to put it to some "good" use. I took some of the scraps to Lowe's and had them cut me a 12x14 piece. Lowe's is always so nice! We really need to invest in a table saw one of these days though...

The next step is to put on the metal. I bought a galvanized sheet of metal from Home Depot for .99 cents. I put liquid nails in the middle of the sheet (a big X) and then hot glued the corners. This way it grabbed fast, but will still have a strong hold.If you need to cut the metal to fit the wood...just use plain old scissors. That's what I found works best!

Then I sanded around the edges to give it more of a vintage look. I LOVE this mini 3M sander I just got! Perfect for small projects like this!

Next I took some ralph lauren smoke glaze and went around the edges. Make sure to dab your sponge before putting it on so it's not to thick. You can use a distressing ink for this as well.

Next comes the fun part! Making it looks pretty! :)  Pick out some fun paper to match your house (this will be going in my girls nursery) and cut it to overlap the metal just a little bit. Then Mod podge it on with a sponge brush! I didn't do a layer of mod podge on top of the paper, but you always could!

I used two different papers and separated them with a ribbon. Again use your mod podge for the ribbon... love that stuff!

For the magnets I hot glued them to some flowers I already had. Two of them are rolled flowers and one is a small silk flower

Now hang it on the wall or put it in a pretty stand

No comments:

Post a Comment