Saturday, January 22, 2011

Suprise Heart Cake

Start out by making four eight inch pans of white cake. 

Make one 9x13 (you can do whatever shape and size you want) pan of red velvet cake



First I need to level each cake.
I use this handy dandy leveling cake thingy I got at Walmart for a few bucks. 
Remember to do this for all four white cakes

Add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup frosting and then put one layer on top.  You want two separate, two layer cakes at this point

For the red velvet cake I just ran my fork through it to break it up.  Then I added about a cup of frosting and combined well
NOW!  I usually like to freeze the cakes for at least a couple hours.  If you cant freeze them, at least try and pop them in the fridge for a bit!

I know this looks pretty weird (maybe cause it is) but this is what I am going to use to make sure I have some uniformity in the heart design.  Its just two toothpicks and a piece of twine.

Place one toothpick in the center of the cake, then (holding firmly) drag the outside toothpick around the cake and make a circle.

Like this!  Now I have a rough guide line of where I am going to being carving.  Do this to both cakes.
Carve out a V shape in the cake

The top half of the heart is a little trickier.  This time, I started with my knife in the center of the cake and created this little island. 

I then moved back out to my "guide line" and started cutting.  I ended up creating this channel.  Once this has been created, you can go back in a do some more carving to create more detail

Here is after I went in with a spoon and carved out a bit more


Now I can start filling in the cakes with the red velvet cake

All filled! At this point I put it in my freezer for about 15 minutes.  Just to let them set

added some frosting the the edge of the bottom cake.  Make sure you know which is which!  You are going to want to add the cake with the hallowed out 'channel' to the top of the V cake

 have found the easiest way to do this is to just use your hand.  Place it flat over the top of the 'channel' cake and flip it over.  Then gently place it one the bottom cake

Add some more frosting and do a rough crumb coat over the whole cake
And here is our thin layer of icing for the crumb coat.  Put this in the fridge about at least a half hour, or as long as overnight
Time to decorate



No comments:

Post a Comment